Pages

Monday, April 30, 2012

The Digital Perm Experience


I have been blessed with God-given straight hair.  Never had my hair rebonded, relaxed, or permanently blow dried.  And you know what they say, girls with curly hair want to have their hair straightened while girls with straight hair want to have curly hair.  

And that is so true for me.  Over the years and for so many weddings and events, I had dipped my toes into the world of curls and waves using curling irons (or hair straightening irons used to make curls) in salons.  And more often than not, I've had the frustrating experience of seeing the gorgeous curls wilt and straighten after only a few hours, especially in  Manila's humidity and heat.  That's because with the blessing of straight hair also comes the challenge of hair with fine strands and thus, my hair cannot maintain the curls made with an iron, unless my hair is "set" first under rollers before being curled. And even if I buy a curling iron and attempt to curl my hair myself, I know I will just damage my hair in the long run with the prolonged exposure to heat.

And so it was that after years of envying real girls and celebrities with luscious waves and after months of dilly-dallying, I finally had my hair permed about two Saturdays ago.  I had my hair permed in Bang's Tony and Jackey, the Korean salon which has invaded the Philippines and is almost a household salon name.  As I recounted in this post, I've had an almost-traumatic experience with this salon a few years back when I had my bob trimmed (Buendia Makati branch). But I've also said that I will reconsider going back due to a former boss' good perm job.  Recently, one of my best friends also got her digi perm in Tony and Jackey (Magallanes) and I took that as my sign to finally have my perm done.

For reference, here's how my hair looked before I went to the salon: 
.
 ..
There are several Bang's Tony and Jackey salons scattered all over the metro and I don't know if there are advantages or disadvantages in each branch but I chose the Tomas Morato branch for convenience since it was nearest to my house.  I had no idea which stylists to get and just left it up to fate.  I was assigned to Anna, a Korean who was fiercely dressed  to the nines in all black and towering glittery heels.    I guess because I am a Korean fan with my love for Korean drama, movies, and recently even K-pop that I wasn't "afraid" of my stylist and  what she'll do to my hair.  The apprehension will only really come from the language barrier, which is solved by the Filipino assistant who further "translated" to me Anna's mix of English and Tagalog.

After my hair was shampooed, Anna examined my hair and did an "evaluation".  I had a secret fear that with my fine, straight hair, it's impossible to perm my hair and I even thought that I would be sent back home still with straight hair.
.
My hair getting a pre-perm treatment.  With Anna (middle), the Filipino "translator" and another Korean stylist
The good news was that it's possible to perm my hair.  The "bad" news was that I have to get their top of the line service/set not only because my hair is very fine but also because it's colored AND highlighted. For perm virgins out there, you have to know that Tony and Jackey offers three "sets" for perming.  They have a "promo" for digital perms that has been ongoing since early this year where you can get a haircut, hair treatment, and aqua setting/ digital perm for as low as P3,000 (using a Korean branded product), P5,000 (L'Oreal), and P7,000 (for a Korean product they call "Hair Blessing Black Class")---all prices at any hair length.  I was expecting to pay as low as P3,000 to P5,000 but I ended up getting the Black Class at P7,000.   Incidentally, these products are also what they use for hair rebonding.  As opposed to rebonding where hair is straightened using a flat iron, my perm was set using curlers and a perming machine.  

.
Anna also told me that I cannot have a perm using medium and large-sized curlers.  Like most straight-haired women dreaming of having their hair permed, my ultimate wavy hair dream are large, gorgeous wavy, cascading locks (think Kate Middleton or locally, Denise Laurel).  Unfortunately, that's only achievable for women with thick hair or for those who have stylists at their daily beck and call, like actresses or news anchors! For my fine hair texture, she had to use a combination of small and medium sized rollers, which will start me out with some quite tight curls, and eventually loosen into waves. 
.
I will not detail the whole perm procedure here because even if you're having your hair permed for the first time like me, I don't think you really need to know each and every step.  All I remember was that the whole thing consisted of the application of the hair treatment, the "perm" proper (the product was applied, the hair was curled using rollers, and attached to the perming machine for a few minutes), then the neutralizer.   In between, there were countless times my hair was washed and/or shampooed and blow dried.  The whole procedure from evaluation to final blow dry took about 3 hours.

Finally, here's how my hair looked right after my perm:
.
Right after my perm with my Korean stylist, Anna
But that's not yet the end of the story.  What I think you should know about perming are the stuff that I will do detail in this post (and in my post-digital perm hair care guide), which includes things that I've learned only AFTER I got my perm.

THE PRICE. First, was I so gullible for not insisting on the lower priced perm packages? Seven Thousand Pesos is probably the most expensive I've paid for a single salon service and I've got to admit that the price had freaked me out (that plus the post-perm styling products I bought there for P3,000 rounded up the total price I paid at P10,000. Literally, na hold up ako!) I was not "eligible" for the lower priced packages not only because my hair wasn't thick enough but because those packages will further damage my hair, which is already considered "damaged"/dry enough due to my hair color and highlights.  But I think that if I had insisted on the cheaper packages, they would have still went on and permed my hair.

But I've concluded that when it comes to hair and if it's a choice between something that will damage my hair more or less, I'd rather choose that which will damage my hair less even if it's more expensive. And I don't know if my perm would have worked or if I would be this satisfied with it if I had insisted on the cheaper treatments. My hair is already fine and "vulnerable" enough and if it means paying P2,000 more to save it, then I'll consider that P2,000 as an investment in my crowning glory.  If that's not really a worthy investment, then I will just say that I've charged the rest to experience, considering the fact that it's my first time to undergo a perm. 

THE SALON. Bang's Tony and Jackey is also quite a reliable and efficient salon.  They go about their business in a no-nonsense way. At the end of the day, they got my super straight fine hair permed and considering what I've learned after (like I have an aunt who has the same hair texture as mine who had her hair permed in the early days of digital perming in Toni and Guy and even after 2 return trips to the salon, she still ended up with straight hair), I'm quite thankful that the perm worked.  Yes, some Tony and Jackey customers also had the experience of undergoing repeat procedures because the perm failed, but usually that's because of a previous hair procedure (like their hair was rebonded before) and thankfully, the salon will repeat the perm procedure for free in case it doesn't work.

And even with the "language barrier" I talked about earlier, be sure to ask them all your questions and concerns.   They should understand your inquisitiveness, especially if it's your first time to have your hair permed.
 
My experience there was nothing like my favorite Studio Fix by Alex Carbonell, where I know I'll be pampered.  In Tony and Jackey, there are no awesome head massages and luxurious ambiance.  But at the end of the day, I think Tony and Jackey is a top choice for digi perms, which was exactly what I expected and received.  Cool gizmos such as their mirror where you can watch movies and surf the net are just icing on their dependable service.  I will still go to Alex Carbonell for cuts, color, and treatments but for digi perms, I think the Koreans are still giving the local salons a run for their money (although Alex now also offers soft set curls).

Others: 

  • Be sure to bring cash with you since all Tony and Jackey salons have a company policy of not accepting credit cards or debit cards.  
  • If your hair has been previously rebonded, it can still be digi permed.  However, the results may depend on the time that passed since your rebond and your digi perm, as some digi perm treatments will not work as well on hair that has only been rebonded recently.  Since not all rebond treatments are created equal, the answer can vary depending on the salon.  Please consult your hair stylist for your particular concerns. For girls with buhaghag hair and want to rebond the top part of your hair and still have the ends digi permed, I have friends who have tried and recommend the volume rebond + digi perm treatment in Park Jun's Beauty Lab in Glorietta, Makati.
.

REGRETS. The price of my perm is not something I regret.  My only real regret is that I should have waited for my hair to grow longer before I finally took the perm plunge.  I love how my first perm turned out but I know I would have loved it even more if my hair was longer. 

Also, I was told by the stylist that I cannot tie up my hair in a ponytail until after one month (and she told me this only after everything was done!).  This wouldn't have been a concern except for the fact that we're in the middle of the hottest summers ever and I can't put my hair up!!  So with that and given my hair length, my timing for this perm is quite a bit off.

I say, before having your hair permed for the first time, do your research (I did and yet I still ended up with a few surprises).  I found this post quite informative.

Permed hair also cannot be washed 24-48 hours after leaving the salon so if you have somewhere important to go to, I would suggest to schedule your perm about a week before any major event since as you will soon learn, newly permed hair takes some getting used to.

Here's how it looked almost a day into the perm:
.
It was only on the day when I first washed my hair at home that I realized that I had to battle with new "permed hair concerns" like dealing with frizzies and how to properly style my new hair.  One thing which I admit that I failed to consider was that permed hair needs maintenance that's quite a bit different from styling straight hair. Actually, after a lifelong experience with straight hair, I was a bit disoriented in the days after getting my perm in the salon---yes, that's how I would exactly put it. I will talk about the solutions I found (and how I dealt with the disorientation) in my post- digital perm hair care guide.

LOVES. Even with my hair length and the no-ponytail rule, I still love, love, love my permed hair.  It feels sexy, glamorous, and even wild. I love how my hair now has volume.

And most of all, I love how I look different. Certainly very different from my straight-haired self.  And different in the sense that my permed hair looks almost different every day. I did have to "wrestle" with the curls not looking too tight and coiled but on the other hand, not loosening up the curls too much too soon that the perm will already lose effect, and finding a balance between the two.

Here's a photo diary of my first week with permed hair:
.
 .
..
And recently, I love how I now know how to style my perm into waves instead of the tighter curls when I first had it permed:
.
Sunday
Do I miss my straight hair? Sometimes, yes.  But even with the moments when I seem to miss it, I look forward to still having my (longer) hair re-permed six months from now.  And the only indecision I have is whether I will go back to Tony and Jackey or try other Korean salons which have
 getting rave reviews (like Park Jun). And I guess I don't miss having straight hair that much since I know that whatever happens, my sleek straight hair will always come back with no need for rebonding.  

I have to end this post on my digital perm experience with something from my one of favorite episodes of Sex and the CityIn the last episode of Season 2 entitled "Ex and the City", Carrie Bradshaw has a revelation---that the world is made up of two types of women: the simple girls and the Katie girls, referring to Barbra Streisand's character in the film The Way We Were. Carrie realizes that men usually choose the simple girls (with their straight, uncomplicated hair) over the Katie girls---who have wild, curly hair, are certainly more "difficult", but are definitely more interesting. 

And Carrie says it perfectly, when she realized that she's a Katie girl, and that Mr. Big has chosen Natasha (the simple girl) over her:

 "Maybe some women aren't meant to be tamed. Maybe they need to run free until they find someone just as wild to run with."
Later on in the series, it turns out Big regretted his decision, divorces Natasha, and Carrie is vindicated since she ends up with Mr. Big.

Well, just like Carrie, I am a Katie girl. I knew it when I still had my straight hair---I'm not a simple girl.  I never was, and I don't think I will ever be. And I'm just wearing that fact and owning up to it now with my permed hair.   And just like Carrie, I know I'll end up with my Mr. Big not taming me, but running wild and free with me.  

Bang's Tony and Jackey 
Tomas Morato branch
CTTM Square
Tomas Morato corner Timog Avenue, Quezon City
Telephone: (632) 441-0386

26 comments:

  1. I agree with you! I have curly hair and I've always had mine rebonded or relaxed at least once a year. Hehehe! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, the dilemma of straight vs. curly-haired girls. It seems as if the grass is always greener on the other side :)

      Delete
  2. Looking great!

    Spot on! I have wavy hair, which has been rebonded, permed, highlighted - abused to the point of damage. :) I also had my hair permed at the same salon. But, nowadays, the stylist won't touch my hair due to "over-abuse", so I simply set my hair up in a loose bun when semi-wet and let it loose when it dries up... the loose waves will have to do for now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried that before I did my digi perm and I say, it really does work Tina! :) inexpensive and less damaging :) hehe.

      Delete
  3. Well I think I spent more in Tony and Jackey Magallanes. I spent around 16500 for the volume rebond, treatments and the kerastese products I purchased. It sucks but to realize that my hair now is really nice. I don't really know if it is a big mistake to spend that much just for your hair =(.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, P16500?! Now, you just made me feel better about the P10,000 I spent in Tony and Jackey! :) Kidding aside, I say, to each her own. If, as you say, that your hair is now really nice and having great hair is really your priority, then that amount is not too much. It really depends on your own financial comfort level and priorities :) I used to have an officemate who blew P14K in one sitting (without take home products) for a permanent blowdry treatment and only after a few weeks, she was no longer happy with her hair. So if you're happy with yours, it's not so much the price but your personal satisfactino.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. whow! thats too much for a permanent blow dry treatment, they offer it in this salon for this month for only 2,000.00 and take note this is wella products.. this is located at guadalupe mall ground floor..same treatments same Rebond but still it does'nt have a digital perming yet but check their services at facebook HAIR Studio by josefina salon i might think you'll love it..only few knew this place..all the staff was a david salon's staff before..they have massage, facial, eyelash extension, etc. great service but its not that expensive... good for a girls like us..:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can say that after a month I am still happy with my hair it’s really nice and I love using the Kerastese products I purchased. I had my free Kerastese treatment this week and I am planning to go back for another volume rebond soon. You are right if we look at the bright side we really feel good about our hair compared to other expensive salons out there. The money is worth it and the service I can say it’s superb =D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! :) Glad to hear that! The price of any service we lavish on ourselves is only worth the pleasure that we derive from it, I think. So, if P16,500 is the price to pay for one's increase in confidence and happiness with one's self, then nobody can judge it if it's worth it or not except you :) Cheers!

      Delete
  7. Nice review. I am dying to get a digiperm in Tony and Jackey. As soon as I have the money and a longer hair, I will do it. This is a very helpful blogpost. :))) Thanks! :)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome :) Hope you get that perm soon enough :) Cheers!

      Delete
  8. Fabulous post! I so love reading this review/testimonial for I can really relate. To top it all, I've learned something great! That is knowing for a fact and getting a confirmation that I am totally a KATIE girl! =)

    Just today, I had my hair permed. Just like The Sunset Goddess, I've been blessed with a naturally fine and sleek hair! However, humans as we are, we never get content of what we have and look/desire for what we don't have instead. Voila! I am so happy with my "traditionally" permed hair now.

    I know that this sharing of mine might be off topic a little but allow me to share and further describe to you that the output of the perm is with large curls for my medium-length hair before it has been done. I had it for PhP 700 only for I personally know the salon manager. The service was so great and I'm so satisfied. By the way, I live in Davao City and a lot of salons here offer perming services. This has been my second perming experience for my first was a flop. I spent PhP 300 for the latter but had my hair damaged instead because of the cheap medicine used on my hair barely seven months ago now (exactly during the time when The Sunset Goddess had her hair digi permed!). So I decided to have it done the second time around through Digi Perm and eyed Tony and Jackey in SM Davao for it. But since I had to cut my damaged hair due to the maltreatment, I had to let it grow before having it re-done. And now that it is ready for re-perming as I have finally decided and long-waited, suddenly and providentially, just last week, my stylist and friend sent an sms informing that he now manages a simple salon in the city and that he encourages to try their services with guaranteed discounts--so there you have it! I immediately inquired about the permanent perm treatment and completely responded to his invitation by coming over to the salon and experienced the extra-special salon experience I've had ever! The trust and comfort I have with my stylist--the salon manager himself is already totally a big thing for me plus the discount and the service perks--I am forever grateful! Reading this post gives me a more reassuring feeling that I have not made a wrong decision and spent money for nothing (again--if it failed the second time around) but instead had a great treat for myself. I am neither happy of others' misfortune/dissatisfaction/bad experience nor is wishing to have outwitted some others more but what I am trying to say is that I feel so fortunate to learn from other's experience especially to those like The Sunset Goddess, who shares generously. My utmost gratitude!

    Now I am conducting my intensive research about any curly hair maintenance, which was why I happened to find out about this post. I am also very grateful of The Sun Goddesses' "Post-Digital Perm Hair Care Guide." It's surely a big help and edge for me! Thank you so much pretty Ms. The Sun Goddess! You are a blessing to every reader and every "Katie" girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Errata: I meant "Now I am conducting my intensive research about any curly hair maintenance, which was why I happened to find out about this post. I am also very grateful of The *Sunset *Goddess' *post *about "Post-Digital Perm Hair Care Guide." It's surely a big help and edge for me! Thank you so much pretty Ms. The *Sunset Goddess! You are a blessing to every reader and every "Katie" girl!!!

      Delete
    2. Wow! thank you so much for your heartfelt appreciation :) Glad to know this blog post touched you :)

      Delete
    3. Welcome! My pleasure to express my feelings. May you keep on posting helpful stories and inspire others! Kudos! =)

      Delete
  9. I think the prices differ. I got mine around 8k at SM North Edsa...i sometimes feel like it's a waste of money. on the other hand, i still have my curls..it's been 9 months sincce I had the treatment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The price is quite steep, I know. As I've mentioned, it's my most expensive salon experience to date. But if you truly enjoy your perm and the way you look because of it, I say, how can that be a waste of money? :) And like you, my perm lasted months and months as well :)

      Delete
  10. I thought tony & jackey @ sm north has a promo these days..
    It was posted p2100 only?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey gals..may i just ask what hair length would be most cost-effective for someone to undergo this digital perm?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I've said above, my only regret about the perm was not waiting for my hair to grow longer. I think bra strap length is the best (about 5-6 inches past your shoulder) but then again, it all depends on the style you want to achieve. My hair is now shoulder length as I got my hair bobbed and I still love my perm as ever :)

      Delete
  12. Hi Sunset ,

    Good day ! I just want to thank you for liking and loving our services at BANGS TONY & JACKEY SALON. I am so proud of you coz you look so beautiful with your curled hair.........Your hair crowns your beauty. Anything that you need we are just here to be at service to you. Pls always do come in any of our 25 branches all over Philippines will be always happy to serve you. We have a free consultaion about hair before you decide to avail one of our services for you to be guided to the process , procedures and taking care of your crown. Hope to hear from you soon and see you.

    Dan Yniguez
    Marketing Head
    Bangs Tony & Jackey Salon

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome post! I actually recently got my hair digitally permed too! yay!

    I think you did pay a tad more than me, but I chose the second most expensive solution. If I chose the most expensive one, then I probably would have paid around the same as you haha. Yours looks really nice btw, really pretty and definitely suits you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Ivy :) I see from your post in your blog that you had your perm done in Hong Kong :) Wow, and it's even cheaper there? Thanks for the compliment :)

      Delete
  14. Hi, I have a wonderfu naturall wavy-curly hair and I appreciated it so much. I actually would like to have it digipermed so that my wavy hair will have more volume. So I think I disagree about the part where girls with curly hair wants to have a straight hair, not almost all the girls.:D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...